Saturday, January 20th
is the next workday for Days For Girls. We are meeting from 9 to 4 at St. Mary on the Lake Catholic Church in Plymouth. Directions here
We have activities for everyone even if sewing is not your “thing”. Lunch and coffee/water are provided; extra snacks or sides are welcome. Come for an hour or two or for the day.
What to bring:
· Sewing Machine and/or serger
· Basic sewing supplies (polyester thread please)
· Large scissors marked with your name (may need for some of our non-sewers to use in cutting out bags and diaper kits)
· Donations for the Days For Girls kits
· Dark/bright cotton fabric for shields **see note below
· Bright/light fabric for bags **
· Dark/bright flannels for the liners **same fabric print guidelines
· Travel soaps
· Girls underwear size 10-14
· Zip-Lock 1 gallon sized bags (Not the slide lock)
There will be an opportunity to hear an update on the work our chapter has done and also to provide a monetary donation if you feel led to do so.
See you soon. Please forward this info to others who might like to help.
**Use good quality 100% cotton woven fabric similar to quilter’s cotton. No knits, flannels, corduroy, or home dec fabric.
· Pick colorful stain-busting fabrics, preferably botanicals, geometrics and batiks. Prints preferred.
· Fabrics and thread should be medium to dark in color to disguise stains
· Some prints are offensive or illegal in some communities. Prints with people, animals, faces and figures cannot be sent to Muslim communities. NO camouflage fabrics as these are illegal in many countries. Fabrics with food, bugs, reptiles, guns, knives, culture-specific themes as well as girly-glam should be avoided. Bugs, reptiles and animals are predators in some areas; fabrics including these are uncomfortable for the girls to wear and use. Butterflies are OK.